THE PLAYERS Championship is back in town, and even the PGA Tour is excited! That's why they capitalize "THE PLAYERS"! LOUD NOISES!!!
Even though they moved it back to March from May, I STILL couldn't wait for this week! It's the most fun event in North Florida, and we're so lucky to be able to host this amazing golf event.
Sure, traffic is horrific, drinks are overpriced, parking is a nightmare and you'll have a sunburn for a week, but WHO CARES, TIGER IS PLAYING GOLF RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!! It's just so, so wonderful. If you've never been, get tickets and go, you won't regret it.
Going to TPC can be overwhelming - there's so much to see, so many places to eat, and 18 holes to watch! How do you know what to do?!
Have no fear, dear readers. As a seasoned TPC-goer, I've got some tips to ensure full enjoyment:
- Chairs. Bring foldable or beach chairs (without a bag cover), get there early, and park your chairs anywhere around the 17th or 18th hole. Just don't take my spot!
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat. Don't forget to slather your nose, ears, and feet (if your shoes are open). If you forget, there's usually people giving away sunscreen at the entrance.
- Comfortable shoes. Ladies, I know a good pair of wedges is *so cute* with a sundress, but you'll be regretting it before the afternoon tee times.
- Tacos on 12. *drooling*. It's away from the hustle and bustle and is the best place to eat. You'll likely find Rickie Fowler here during practice round days. Tacolu tacos, if you've never had them, are amazing, and so is their sangria. (Enjoy responsibly.)
- 16th green bathroom. There are 4 non-portable bathroom sites, but the best bathroom is behind the 16th green.
- An over-21 tip: Get a Sawgrass Splash. I cannot recommend this enough. It's the Mint Julep of golf. Delicious sweet refreshing orangey vodka goodness. In fact, get two. (Again, enjoy responsibly.)
A Sawgrass Splash. Mmmmm. Photo courtesy of Levy Restaurants.
Many players and golf analysts refer to TPC as "the fifth major" in golf. I couldn't agree more - it's got the largest purse of any tournament and has a great field of golfers on a historic course. Tiger Woods skipped the Arnold Palmer Invitational so he could be fully ready to play THE PLAYERS. He loves it, and rightfully so, considering he's taken the trophy home twice.
TPC is also home to the famous 17th hole - a 132 yard par 3 "Island Green" that gives the best of golfers the heebie jeebies. One of my favorite things about attending TPC is that spectators might cheer when a golfer makes it onto the green, but they will go CRAZY when it goes into the water. Isn't that right, Sergio?
Will you be attending THE PLAYERS Championship this week? Let us know below!